We Are With You
Every Step Of The Way
Photo of Keith Friley and Fritz H Dugas
Photo of Keith Friley and Fritz H Dugas

How The Right Child Support Lawyer Can Help Resolve Disputes

If you go through the divorce process, one parent will typically pay the other parent a certain amount of money to compensate for the costs of raising the child. These costs help to pay for the food, clothing, shelter, education, and other needs of the child. If you are wondering how much you will be expected to pay, Louisiana child support tables can help you reference your combined monthly adjusted gross income and the number of children that you are providing for.

Many people who go through the divorce process and have a difficult time deciding on various issues such as child custody or support. When these issues cannot be resolved peacefully, the only option is to argue your case before a judge in court who will make a decision based on the best interests of the child or children involved.

What If I Disagree About The Required Amount Of Child Support?

If you have been ordered to pay more child support than you think is fair, or perhaps you think that your child’s other parent should be paying more, you will need to request that another review of your case is made. This request can be made verbally over the phone or in writing to the office that decided your case. According to the Louisiana Department of Children and Family Services (DCFS), the office will investigate if the appropriate action was taken. If an error has been made, the office will readjust the support obligations.

Adjustments To Child Support Payments

Circumstances change, people grow, the economy rises and falls, and these various issues can require that adjustments be made to support payments in order to ensure that proper provision is being made. If you are the custodial parent and the payments you are collecting are not enough to cover the cost of living, you may be able to have the payments adjusted to better suit your child’s needs. Likewise, if you are the non-custodial parent who is making the payments, you can apply to have the payment adjusted to better suit your budget in times of economic hardship.

To do this, you must first notify the local DCFS of the change. They will need your case number, the names of any children that you are supporting, and their ages. You can then fill out an updated obligation worksheet, which will record any income updates. This should include copies of documents that demonstrate the validity of your claims, such as payroll stubs, severance letters, or a receipt of a medical bill. Be sure to submit proof of any medical insurance payments that you are making on the child’s behalf, which the court may deduct out of your child support obligation. Lastly, you should get the support of our firm, which can help you with any issues that come up during this process.

We at Friley & Dugas, LLC, can provide you with the legal representation that you need to fight for the proper payment allocation for your situation. For over 40 years, we have been helping families resolve their issues and supporting parents through the difficult process of determining child support. To ensure that you are not taken advantage of in court, get our firm on your side. Speak with us, Baton Rouge-area divorce lawyers, today.