We Are With You
Every Step Of The Way
Photo of Keith Friley and Fritz H Dugas
Photo of Keith Friley and Fritz H Dugas

What To Do After A Spouse Mentions Divorce

Divorce can be a very hostile situation, issues like custody and support can be highly contested, and you may have to fight for your rights in court. While mediation is an option, it does not always fulfill the desires of both spouses. When mediation fails, courtroom litigation often ensues, and it is important that you have skillful representation for your case. If you have been served with divorce papers, you may be experiencing overwhelming emotions such as fear, anxiety, uncertainty, and anger. It is important that you understand what you should do in order to prepare yourself for the process to come.

First, you must respond to the divorce papers. When served, you will have limited time to gather your emotions and your composure to respond to these papers. It is important that you do nothing that could be used against you in court to damage the outcome for you. One such example is to call your spouse in a heightened state of anger; this could look very bad if brought up in court and could even result in you losing custody of your children. The next thing you should do is to retain skillful legal counsel. You need a Baton Rouge-area divorce attorney on your side who can look through your circumstances and help you prepare to fight for your goals and desires in court.

Maintaining Composure

Various divorce issues can be highly contested, and if you desperately need to retain child custody, then it is imperative that the judge believes you to be in complete control of your life, able to provide financially and emotionally for your children, and that you are not a threat or are unpredictable. It is important that you maintain composure in your public life, any social media, and anywhere that you will be seen. If you are facing divorce, you need legal assistance in your case, and our firm can provide this for you.

Contact a Baton Rouge-area divorce lawyer from Friley & Dugas, LLC, today to discuss your case!